Chameleons are great family pets that have some unique characteristics. Many of the facts about Chameleons you may not have even heard about before.
Today we will be discussing some cool facts about chameleons so you know a little bit more about these interesting reptiles.
- Chameleon eyes can move in 2 directions at once and have a vision of 360-degree arc. So what this means is that a chameleon can look in two directions at once and focus on two different thing as can have a full arc vision around their body. Their eyesight is so good that they can actually see small insects as far as 5 to 10 meters in distance anyway from them!
- Males usually have more ornaments on their body. Males some times have horn-like projections from their head and other facial or head ornamentations. Some also have large crests on top of their head.
- Ultraviolet vision. They have the ability to see both ultraviolet light and regular light that is visible. If a chameleon is exposed to ultraviolet light they increase activity levels and social behavior. They also are more inclined to feed and bask.
- American chameleon isn’t actually a real chameleon. The American chameleon which is an anole (Anolis carolinensis) is not actually a real chameleon. It is actually from the iguana family and is a small lizard. It can color change and is found in Southeast United States.
- Great climbers with strong feet. Chameleons have the ability to climb narrow and rough branches and more slippery surfaces. One of the ways they can do this is with each toe having a sharp claw that gives them extra grip. Each foot also have 5 toes that are grouped into a flattened section of either 3 or 2 toes. They kind of look like tongs.
- Chameleons body size and structure varies greatly. The smallest chameleon is a Brookesia micra which has a max length of 15 millimeters (0.6 in). And the largest being a male Furcifer oustaleti which can grow up to 68.5 centimeters (30 in).
- Ability to change colours. The cool thing about chameleons and what they are most known for is their ability to change colors. Normally they are either green, brown or black in color but they can change their color. They can actually change the color of their body in as little as 20 seconds!
- Majority of chameleon species live in Madagascar. Almost half of the 160 difference species of chameleons live on the island of madagascar. In total there is 160 species of chameleons and 59 of them only live on the island of madagascar. The other places chameleons live include: Sri Lanka, South Asia, and United States.
- They have very long tongues. They have tongues that are actually between 1.5 – 2 times the length of their body! They catch their prey by projecting their long tongue out from a far distance away. Their tongue is so fast it can catch prey in as little as 0.07 seconds!
- Bad hearing. Chameleons do not have an middle or outer ear and don’t have a ear opening or eardrum. This means they cannot hear much just like a snake. However this doesn’t mean they are fully deaf. They still can detect sounds in the frequencies ranging from 200 – 600 Hz.
So there you have it! 10 really cool and fun facts about chameleons that probably didn’t know about.
Make sure to share these tips and facts with your friends and family.