The short answer to the question is Yes dogs can eat coconut oil.
The benefits of coconut oil for dogs includes: help prevent infections, improves their coats and helps with their digestive system.
However before you start to feed your dog coconut oil it is important to follow the proper guidelines. Like anything else too much of anything can have negative effects so make sure you feed in moderation and follow the guidelines.
Why is coconut oil good for pets?
First you may be wondering to yourself why coconut oil is good for pets including dogs? Well coconut oil is classified as a “superfood” because it is almost exclusively saturated fat which few foods have.
Most people think all fats are bad fats but this isn’t the case for this food.
MCT’s (medium chain triglycerides) is a good fat and it has an array of health benefits. It can help with:
- metabolic function that assists with weight loss
- coat and skin health
- thyroid health
- immune system support
- digestion improvements
MCT is made up of:
- Lauric Acid
- Capric Acid
- Caprylic Acid
- Myristic Acid
These things have antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. In sort it helps with things such as helps overweight dogs lose weight and more.
Benefit of coconut oil for dogs
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath
- Increases nutrient absorption
- Improves digestion
- Helps with colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Helps with coughing
Healthy Coat and Skin
- Creates sleek and glossy coats
- Also can help with hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Clears up eczema
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Minimizes doggy odor
- Aids flea allergies, contact dermatitis and itchy skin
- When applied topically coconut oil promotes wound healing
- Helps prevent infection and disease
- Assists with weight loss
- Balances insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Aids in increasing energy
- Powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal agents
How much coconut oil for dogs?
It is important to note that you have to start small at first and see how your dog reacts to the coconut oil. If your dog has negative side effects such as greasy stools or diarrhea it may be best to give less or none at all.
It takes time for a dogs body to adjust to the new diet and therefore you need to start slow and only with tiny amounts.
Start with 1/4 teaspoon per day for small dogs and puppies. For larger dogs you can do 1 teaspoon or just a dab if your dog has a sensitive digestive system.
Once your dog is use to it you can try:
- roughly 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight daily
- Or about 1 tablespoon per 30 lbs
Reminder to NOT start with these large amounts to start as it will make your dog sick.
Therefore in conclusion can dogs eat coconut oil? YES!
It is actually really good for them and has amazing health benefits.
Make sure to share this information with your friends and family who have dogs as it can help them take care of their dogs as well.