Many people love to eat watermelon in the summer when it is hot as it is a refreshing fruit to eat with all its water content. On top of that watermelon is sweet and delicious.
Kids especially enjoy eating watermelon as it is easy to eat and contains plenty of sugar.
All this may lead some guinea pig owners to the question can guinea pigs eat watermelon safely or not?
Before we answer this question lets consider a few things first to get the most accurate answer.
- The main point is that guinea pigs can safely eat watermelon!
- However this fruit is high in water content so moderation is important. Every other day should be fine though
- This fruit isn’t a great source of vitamins including vitamin C which guinea pigs need and therefore shouldn’t be a staple item
- Watermelon contains a lot of sugar and therefore can cause stomach aches so eating this fruit should be limited in quantity
- Watermelon should only be part a well balanced diet
- Eating too much watermelon can cause a guinea pig to have diarrhea
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Watermelon Seeds?
No, do not feed the seeds of a watermelon to guinea pigs. It isn’t good for their health and could be a choking hazard. It is best to be avoided.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat Watermelon Rind?
Yes, it is fine for them to eat as a treat. It isn’t great in flavor but carries a lot of nutrients which are good for guinea pigs.
Can Guinea Pigs Eat The Outer Skin Of A Watermelon?
No, they cannot. It is far to tough for them to eat and could be a choking hazard.
Yes, guinea pigs can eat watermelon but only in smaller amounts every other day.